In Y3PL system, License plates link inventories, locations and storage billing all together. With license plates. We suggest everyone to use license plates in receiving and shipping. With the concept of license plates, you can easily achieve the following:
- Associate inventories and their quantities to bin locations
- Get controlled picking ticket following FIFO method.
- Able to bill your customers by warehouse bin storage
- Investigate inventory shortages and overages.
Creating License Plates
You can create license plates in the web UI or directly using your Android App.
If you are using the web UI to receive inventories with license plates, it is important to remember that you must create the license plates first.
Web users can create license plates by going to Operation -> License Plates.
There are three options for you here.
Add New: Add a single license. You must select a client and give a license number. You can also scan a barcode with a format of Weight-UOM-Length-Width-Height.
Note since version Photon, the weight is in KG, dimensions are in CM.
Batch Create: Create many sequential license numbers at once. With this method, you need to fill in the first license number, and the increment, which is usually 1.
Upload Put Away: You can also upload many licenses via Excel. This method also gives you the ability to assign a bin location. Please follow the instructions in the Excel file.
If you are using our Android app to receive inventories with license plates, you can create a license plate in the system directly in receiving. License plates do not need to exist.
Receiving With License Plates
Warehouse operations start with receiving inventories into the system. Using license plates in receiving is the most important factor to ensure inventory accuracy and operation efficiency.
When using license plates, Y3PL recommend you to following these standard
- License plate is a container. It can contain one single SKU with many units, or it can contain multiple SKU with many units.
- License plates should be created according to your actual operation requirements and warehouse bin location layouts.
- If you receive a full pallet of the same inventory SKU, you just need one license plate for the pallet
- If you receive a mixed pallet with many cartons, however, each carton has the same SKU, then you probably want to separate the pallet by SKU and then issue one license plate to each SKU. Alternatively, you can issue one license plate per carton.
- If you receive a carton with mixed SKU, depending on you how you want to store the inventories, you can either issue a single license to the carton, or issue many licenses to each SKU. Issuing a single license usually means that you are not going to break down the carton. On the other hand, if you are going to break down the carton and store each individual SKU to its own shelf, you will need to issue multiple licenses.
- Remember that a license can only go to one location only. So if you have a license plate with multiple items or units and you have to put them into multiple bin locations, the license plate should be broken down.
- A bin location can have as many license plates as you need.
Put Away License Plate
It's very important that your license plates are put away into warehouse bin locations after receiving. Remember a license plate is just a container, without putting away, your pickers cannot know where it is. In addition, if a license plate is not put into bin location, your customer will be under charged for storage because it will not be calculated.
Shipping With License Plate
If you have license plates correctly set up in receiving and put away, your picking ticket with show the inventory on hand in each license in each location. There are two primarily used picking ticket in Y3PL system.
- Generic: this gives your pickers all the information regarding to each SKU in the picking ticket. It shows all licenses in all locations
- Controlled: this is a FIFO picking ticket. It only gives your picker the first license and location of a SKU that came into the warehouse earliest. In case the first license does not have sufficient quantities, it will list all licenses.
License plates are also used in inventory adjustment, cycle counts and inventory movement investigation.